City Hall Stained Glass Windows

The City Council approved $75,000 to the Department of Public Works and The Friends of City Hall to restore 2-3 stained glass windows in the Holyoke City Hall at 536 Dwight Street.

This elaborate building, known for its Gothic Revival architectural style, was completed in 1876 and designed by Charles B. Atwood and H.F. Klburn. It is on the National Register of Historic Places and within the North High Street Historic District. The building houses the city administrative ofices and also serves as a downtown gathering space for the Holyoke community in spaces such as the Ballroom where the the stained glass restoration will take place. The stained glass windows, designed by the celebrated 19th century Boston artist, Samuel West, were originally located on the west side of the City Hall Ballroom, facing High Street but have since been removed due to poor condition. Through a funding match from the Massachusetts Historic Preservation Fund, up to three windows are expected be restored.